Hello John Jay Families,
I am reaching out to you with the most updated information regarding our athletic program and, most importantly, our fall season. The situation around athletics has been fluid, over the past month, with information and requirements coming down from the Governor's Office, NYS Department of Health, NYSPHSAA, and Section One Athletics, all organizations with which we are required be in compliance. To summarize:
The Governor's Office approved the sports of Cross Country, Field Hockey, Girls Swimming, Girls Tennis, and Boys & Girls Soccer to practice and compete beginning September 21st. The Sports of Football and Volleyball were, initially, permitted to begin practice only on September 21st.
- NYSPHSAA has required a minimum of 10 practices for all student-athletes before competing. More recently, NYSPHSAA made the decision to move the sports of Football and Volleyball to a Fall II season that will start on March 1, 2021.
- Section One Athletics has mandated the following:
- The suspension of Modified level athletics for the fall.
- The suspension of out-of-season training for all high-risk sports. High-risk sports include Basketball, Football, Ice Hockey, Lacrosse, and Wrestling.
- The start of Fall I sports season will be Tuesday, September 29th (rather than Monday, September 21st).
- Although Girls Swimming was approved to practice and compete, the season has been placed on hold due to limited number of swim facilities available. We are currently waiting additional guidance from Section One about the possibility of the Girls Swimming season being moved to the Fall II season beginning on March 1st, 2021
What does it all mean and what is John Jay's plan?
First, it's essential to know that this situation remains fluid and could change at any point in the process leading up to and even after the start of the approved Fall I season. Health and safety must continue to drive our decisions. Our hope is to share final plans no later than Saturday, September 26th. Knowing that you’re trying to make plans, we want you to know our current thinking. It is as follows:
- Our fall athletic program will consist of Boys & Girls Cross Country, Field Hockey, Girls Tennis, and Boys & Girls Soccer.
- Our programs will be offered at the Varsity level only. Both the JV and Modified levels are on pause for the fall season. We want to be sure we have space available on our fields to keep all athletes safe and to follow the most recent NYSPHSAA guidance about practices and cohorts.
- Our JV Coaches have been moved up to the Varsity, as assistants, to allow us to comply with NYSPHSAA recommendations around cohorts, minimizing large groups, enhanced skill set development, and social-emotional support.
- Varsity rosters will be capped, but we do hope to expand the rosters slightly with our JV level on pause. We will announce the roster cap with our approved plan no later than Saturday, September 26th.
- The Athletic Placement Process (APP) has been suspended for the fall season for the following reasons:
- It would mix high school and middle school cohorts.
- Since we have suspended Modified Sports for the fall season, it would create an equity issue at that age level.
- With our JV season on pause, we think it’s important to prioritize opportunities for students in grades 9-12.
Fall Sports Low Risk Registration:
- The registration window for the Fall I Sports season will take place from Monday, September 21 - Friday, September 25th. We will be using a new software called Final Forms. Information to follow.
- This year, due to Covid 19, schools will accept physicals from 2018-19 or 2019-20. However, students who have not had a physical exam within that window must obtain and submit a 2020 physical to be eligible for participation.