January 18, 2019
Dear KLSD Community,
At last night’s Board of Education meeting, we discussed school start/end times with our Board and with those community members who joined us. The presentation we gave last night is available here: Link to Start Time Presentation. The video of last night’s conversation will be available in the near future here: Link to BOE Videos
As you will see in the presentation, we provided three proposals for consideration, as follows:
- Move JJMS to a later start time, make a slight adjustment to HS start, and leave elementary schools on their current schedule
- Move JJMS to a later start time (though not as late as in proposal one), move both HS and ES’s to slightly earlier start times
- Make no change
You can see the details about all three proposals, including actual times, in the presentation.
We now hope to gather as much feedback and input as possible from our community before reaching a decision. In order to do that, we’re offering the following dates:
- Increase Miller Elementary meeting: Monday, February 11th, at 7:00 p.m.
- John Jay Middle School PTO meeting: Tuesday, February 12th at 9:30 a.m.
- Katonah Elementary PTO meeting: Wednesday, February 13th at 9:30 a.m.
- John Jay High School PTO meeting: Thursday, February 21st at 9:30 a.m.
- Meadow Pond Principal’s Coffee: Monday, February 25th at 9:30 a.m.
- Community Meeting at JJMS: Monday, February 25th at 7:00 p.m.
You are welcome to attend as many meetings as you wish and you do not need to attend the PTO/A meeting that corresponds to the school your children attend. We are truly hoping to gather as much input as possible.
We told our BOE last night that we would revisit this topic with them at our March 7th meeting to share a summary of the input we receive.
Thank you for your interest.
Andrew Selesnick, Superintendent of Schools
For additional information from the Superintendent's office, please click HERE.