December 6, 2022
Dear KLSD Community,
Earlier today, schools across our State received the attached joint letter from the NYS Commissioners of Health and Education. The letter advises us that, “a host of respiratory viruses, including influenza, RSV and COVID-19, have taken hold in our state and in most of our communities.” The letter further states that “the number of laboratory-confirmed flu cases has nearly tripled over the past three weeks and flu hospitalizations have more than doubled.”
I’m sharing this with you because what the State reports is consistent with what we are seeing in our schools, where reports of illness and absences have jumped significantly. As a result, we are encouraging the same precautions as those encouraged in the letter from NYS today:
1. Stay up to date on vaccines, including Flu and COVID-19.
2. Wash your hands often with soap and hot water for at least 20 seconds.
3. Do not cough or sneeze into your hands; sneeze or cough into your elbow.
4. Stay home when sick or symptomatic.
5. Wear a well-fitting, high-quality mask when in public indoor spaces.
I know that our school nurses would want me to add emphasis to number four above. Please stay home when sick or symptomatic. Take care and take the necessary time to recover.
Andrew Selesnick, Superintendent of Schools